Clowns International was formed as the International Circus Clowns Club in 1946. Clowns started meeting at St. James’s Church (now part of Joseph Grimaldi Park), Pentonville Rd. Islington N1. the burial place of Joseph Grimaldi, to commemorate ‘the father of Clowning’ and in February to hold a memorial service.In 1959, St. James’s was deconsecrated due to subsidence and a fire. The clowns then moved to their new spiritual home, Holy Trinity Church, Dalston E8. Pictures and painting of clowns soon started appearing in a room behind the church and the Clowns' Gallery was born. Over the years, it’s grown from strength to strength and now incorporates many costumes and props with loads of artefacts from the world of clowning and becoming a museum, gallery, archive and reference library on clowning.For more information about the Gallery & Museum contact: The Secretary via our contact page.